Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I Don't Know Myself As Well As I Think

I walked up to Mrs. Ferguson, the music teacher, and pointed on the list of students' names where my name was. She put a check mark next to it and I walked out of line, looking around the room for familiar faces. I saw my friend, Abigail, and walked over to her.

"So...", I began, smiling nervously. "You're auditioning for the play?"
"Pretty much," said Abigail. "I'm trying out for the evil stepsister. How 'bout you?" I shrugged, heart pounding as I realized I didn't know who I wanted to try out for.

Mrs. Ferguson clapped her hands and started calling out names. When they walked up to the front of the room, they had to sing the 'Happy Birthday' song. When she said my name, my friends whispered encouragingly while I walked up to Mrs. Ferguson. I looked at her and she stared back expectantly. Then realizing I was supposed to sing, I turned toward my classmates and other people, and I tried to imagine myself on a stage, where making a mistake was the worst thing that could happen. I opened my mouth and my voice was shaky. I cleared my throat and tried again. I don't remember how I sounded, just that everyone clapped politely afterward. I sat down again, cheeks burning.

As other people sang the simple song, I started to think. If I get in the play... children in other grades would look at me in the lights, singing and smiling. They wouldn't know who I am, won't hold any grudges against me if I make a mistake. I imagined myself, beaming confidently at the crowd, acting.

Mrs. Ferguson handed out scripts to us all. Again she called out names and asked whoever came up to say a specific phrase out of the script. When it was my turn, I tried to sound more confident, but all I could think about was me saying another person's line, or knocking over all the props on the stage. I realized that there was something worse than making a mistake; thinking about it! Maybe I didn't sound so well to everybody else, but to my ears I sounded a lot better.

When the auditions were over, I had learned so much. Before, I only wanted to be in the play because "everyone" was talking about it. Now, I was fantasizing about playing a big part like... the evil stepsister! I could be Abigail's sister in the play, if we made it in. I told Mrs Ferguson what my decision was.

As I walked toward the school gate the next morning, a group of girls called my name and dragged me toward the music room, where two pieces of paper were hung up. I gasped and looked for my name. There it was, next to... "Evil Stepsister #1!" The third emotion I felt was fear and nerves, which surprised me, because the first two were pride and happiness. I was looking forward to the play.

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you described your mistake on the stage fright. I would give you a 9.5/10 on your story. Also you could tell which play you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hime,
    I really liked your story. I thought it was very descriptive and it felt like I was there next to you while you where trying out for the play and when you found out that you where in the play. I really liked how you told the story from your pint of view and how descriptive the language usage was. I do have a few questions though. What was the name of the play? and why did it say that the "Evil Stepsister" role went to Elanor and not Hime? Other wise your story was very good and descriptive and rich. I think your blog post shows that you can think creatively,reason critically and collaborate constructively with the reader.
    Great Job
    Melina

    ReplyDelete