Monday, March 7, 2011

My future. Two simple words that, when put together correctly, can mean so much... but why? What is so important about knowing what will happen to me tomorrow, what I will be in ten years? Just lay back and let whatever happens happen! If that's how you think, you haven't read "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. In Jonas' community, he can't just wait for his life to suddenly make sense to him. The Committee decides everything, hands you your life piece by piece, and you take it.

Would I want to have my future decided? Before I read "The Giver", I would've quickly answered "NO," and I'm sure you would, too. Even after reading, I would have the same answer, but I'm a little more hesitant. We think our community is better organized than Jonas', because we have the freedom to make our own decisions. Think about Jonas, though. He probably thinks his way of living is the best way, because it's all he's ever known! He might become a little nervous when confronted with a chance for freedom. Also, having other people decide for you doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. Think of having people, first analyzing your personality, fit you with a job that you can work well with, and with a positive attitude. In our society, a lot of people don't get good jobs, and you see many people lose them and end up with no money to support their family. Jonas knows nothing of that. He finds it unfair that the world is color-less, that people should be able to make choices.

Choosing things for yourself, is it a good thing? The Committee found that sometimes, people made the wrong decisions. They didn't think, and got themselves in a dilemma. You can see that today, many people without homes, food, money... the poorer countries often can't afford education or safety, and are forced to make even more decisions to make up for the mistakes others make. Who's to blame? If you want to know the answer, you need only look into a mirror. How our life is, the way our world works, is shaped by us. Our way of living has mistakes because we make mistakes. Jonas rarely chooses things on his own, so everything is easy. The best choices are brought to him. Would I want that for myself? I have to think about my answer, but it's still "No". I still want to feel emotion, will go through the pain to feel the happiness. I will also try and make the wisest choices I can, because they affect the people around me.

Thanks for reading,
Hime


1 comment:

  1. Like is said in my other comment I like how you start with a question. Through this blog there are many questions that you answer. I often stop and answer them as well before reading on a finding out what your answer is. I am intrigued with what you write about and how you make it so interesting. I found this blog post very interesting as through reading giver I kept asking myself would I want my future to be decided and now you have helped me answer it. I enjoyed finding out what your answer would be as well. This is a great blog and I always enjoying reading it.
    Excellent Work!
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete